BY BENJAMIN DIXON, Managing Editor
Smoke rose from the Engineering Lab Building on Thursday, causing many students to believe that a fire had started around noon.
Campus Safety has confirmed that it was not a fire, but that Facilities Management was testing a backup fuel for the building’s boilers.
The backup fuel used is NO. 2 fuel oil, as the primary fuel is natural gas. An incorrect fuel to air mixture caused the plume of smoke. The test lasted for approximately 5 minutes.
The boiler contractor has been contacted for recalibration.