University of Michigan-Dearborn Fieldhouse
University of Michigan-Dearborn Fieldhouse

By DANIELLE COWART, Staff Reporter

The University of Michigan-Dearborn men’s soccer team took the field for two non-conference matches in consecutive days. The Wolverines tried to break out of a mini-slump after a hot start to the season.

The team first took on Spring Arbor University on September 17, 2013. UM-Dearborn wound up falling short, losing 2-1.

Sophomore Chris Porreca found the net for the first time this season off a header from eight yards off a corner kick from fellow sophomore Alek Vasilevski. Porreca led Wolverines, scoring their only goal in the first-half to give them a 1-0 lead.

The Wolverines gave up a goal with 30 seconds left in the first-half, making it a 1-1 match.

“If we could have changed anything about this game, I would have tried to take the game to half-time 1-0, instead of giving up a goal before half, said junior Mario Konja.

That was a huge game changer for the Wolverines, with a 1-1 score you have to head into the second half like the game is still 0-0, no advantage. The men held it together until around the 20-minute mark, when Spring Arbor took the lead and the game 2-1.

The next day, the Wolverines had to take the field at Taylor University in Indiana. UM-Dearborn was handed another loss, 4-0.

“I think the loss was caused by a lack of composure and confidence going forward, as well as clearing the ball from set pieces, said junior captain Nate Szymkowicz. “Not having our starting forward, Iris Mesic, clearly affected the offensives output. With his return, we will change back to our preferred formation which should increase our team chemistry.”

Staying positive, the Wolverines think they will have the ability to finish in the top half of the conference, as long as they do not lose any more key players to injuries. They will play their first conference game September 28, 2013 at 3 pm against Cornerstone University.

The match will be played at Ultimate Sports in Pontiac.