(Ricky Lindsay/MJ)
(Ricky Lindsay/MJ)
(Ricky Lindsay/MJ)

By Erick Lehman, Managing Editor

The University of Michigan-Dearborn hockey team split with Indiana Tech University this past weekend in a home-and-home series.

The Wolverines took game one of the series at home Friday night by a score of 3-2.

Goaltender Nate Ferris’ performance paced the Wolverines to the victory, despite a late goal from Indiana Tech, which gave the Wolverines a bit of a scare.

The Warriors scored with 27.5 seconds remaining in the third period after they pulled their goalie to get the extra attacker against the Wolverines.

UM-Dearborn was able to buckle down in the final second of the game and get the win.

The Wolverines got on the board midway through the first period when Tyler Dalton deflected the puck in on a Ryan Urso slap shot to give the Wolverines a 1-0 lead.

“We were moving the puck really well right away, Dalton said. “When we started moving the puck, it got them out of their system.”

Less than three minutes into the second period, the Warriors tied things up, but the Wolverines answered later in the period when Andrew Pulshaj scored an unassisted goal to give the Wolverines the lead again.

Ryan Kelly would provide the Wolverines with the game-winning goal just over five minutes into the third period.

The goaltenders stole the show Friday as Ferris stopped 33 shots, while Indiana Tech goaltender Zach Larson stopped 46 shots on goal.

“Ferris stole the show,” head coach Chris Haltinner said. “He came up with three saves that kept the score from being 5-3. Without those two saves we’re in a hole.

“He did his job, did a great job.”

Saturday night proved to be a good game, which featured some free hockey for the fans.

The Wolverines jumped out to a 2-0 lead early with a goal in the first period from Jeff McFarland and a goal just a minute into the second period from Palushaj.

However, the Warriors were able to score three unanswered goals in a little over three minutes to roar back into a lead.

That would not end the scoring for the second period, as Kevin Bechard scored for the Wolverines to tie the game at three heading into the third period.

The third period and overtime period went scoreless, and the Wolverine and Warriors headed to a shootout.

The shootout went to 10 rounds, and the Warriors were able to take the win in the shootout to seal the split.

The Wolverines played three games this past week, including the outdoor game against Oakland University, so a busy week for the team resulted in a 2-0-1 record.

The shootout loss likely puts the Wolverines out of contention for the GLCHL regular season championship.