By: Phillip Lutz, Sports Editor

The No. 8 UM-Dearborn men’s hockey team made the journey to Columbus, Ohio, to take on the No. 9 University of Colorado-Boulder Buffs. The game was played at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday at the Ice Haus.

The Wolverines scored the first goal of the game in the first period on a power play by junior Tyler Groat. Junior captain Kevin Bechard assisted on the goal.

The Buffs responded immediately with an unassisted goal from Joseph Kinsella. The first period ended with the teams tied 1-1. The Buffs had 16 shots on goal to 11 shots on goal for the Wolverines.

The second period saw the Buffs score two more goals, making the score 3-1. Ben Hull and Max Lerman scored the goals for the Buffs. The Buffs kept up the shots on goal with another 16 in the second period and the Wolverines shooting 10 shots on goal.

The third period saw the Buffs take control as they added four more goals. Trace Jablin added two goals, Luke Carter added a goal, and Joseph Kinsella also added a goal for the Buffs. This made the score 7-1 late in the third period.

Senior Andrew Palushaj added a goal for the Wolverines late in the third making it 7-2, which would be the final score of the game. The goal was assisted by sophomore Kyle Schnettler and freshman Silas Johnson. The Buffs had seven shots on goal in the third period, giving them a total of 39 shots for the game. The Wolverines finished with six shots on goal in the third period giving them a total of 27 shots on goal for the game.

Junior goalie Thomas Proudlock saved 31 of the 37 shots he faced through 50 minutes of play. Sophomore goalie Adam Ranck made a save out of the two shots he faced through 10 minutes of play.

The Wolverines finished with a 25-6-2 record overall and won the inaugural Wolverine Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) championship. They were runner-ups for the Great Lakes Collegiate Hockey League title.

Check back with the Michigan Journal for all UM-Dearborn athletics news and scores throughout the year.