By Drew Dykowski, Sports Editor and John Daly, Staff Writer
The University of Michigan-Dearborn women’s volleyball team wrapped up their season with two WHAC (Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference) matchups. The first was a game against Aquinas and the final match of the season against Rochester. Both matches were played at home in the UM-Dearborn Fieldhouse.
The Wolverines got the week started off against the Saints on Wednesday. UM-Dearborn was able to hang with Aquinas for most of the first set, but ultimately fell 25-19. The Saints dominated the two remaining sets 25-11 and 25-16 to earn the sweep.
Despite the sweep, the Maize and Blue had a few solid performances. Junior Gina Giaomini led the team with 11 kills and an impressive .364 hitting percentage. Other notable contributions came from sophomore Mackenzie Zook, who finished with six kills and four digs. Junior Sabrina Giacomini added a team-high 15 assists. Freshman Mallory Lynch continued her strong season with a team-high 10 digs.
UM-Dearborn concluded their season on Saturday against Rochester, in arguably their most dominating win of the year.
Prior to the contest, seniors Bronte Michura and Daniella Barile were recognized for their outstanding careers as part of Senior Day.
The Wolverines played exceptionally well against the Warriors. In the opening set, the teams went back-and-forth with neither team leading by more than three points. Rochester held a narrow 21-20 lead, but UM-Dearborn finished strong to win 25-23.
After a tight first set, it was smooth sailing for the Wolverines as they controlled the second and third sets. The Warriors hung with them early in the second, but UM-Dearborn pulled away late to win 25-18. They dominated the entire third set, winning 25-16 and earning the sweep to end the season (5-24, WHAC 4-16).
In their final game as Wolverines, Michura and Barile were both terrific. Michura finished with 12 kills and a .500 hitting percentage, while Barile contributed a team-high 24 assists.
Gina Giacomini added 13 kills and freshman Regan Sliwinski finished with 12 kills and three blocks. Sabrina Giacomini, who had 23 assists, and Lynch, who recorded 17 digs, also played well.
Sliwinski and Lynch had tremendous freshman seasons and will certainly be instrumental next year for the Maize and Blue.
- University of Michigan-Dearborn had the second highest service aces per set and fourth highest total service aces with 202 total and an average of 2.0 SA/S.
- Freshman Mallory Lynch ranked fourth in the league for service aces and service aces per set with 45 and 0.4 SA/S. She also finished tenth for total digs and tied for ninth in digs per set with 385 and 3.8 D/S.
- Freshman Regan Sliwinski tied for seventh in blocks per set and placed tenth in total blocks with 87 and 0.9 per set. She also finished 14th in service aces per set and total service aces with 33 and 0.3 per set.
- Senior Daniella Barile placed ninth in assists per set and tenth in total assists with 423 and an average of 4.2 per set.
- Junior Sabrina Giacomini ranked tenth for assists per set with 4.0 A/S, sixth in service aces and tied for fifth in service aces per set with 40 and 4.0 SA/S.
- Freshman Delaney Smith finished 12th in service aces and tied for 11th in service aces per set with 35 and 0.4.
- Junior Gina Giocomini finished 19th overall for kills per set and total kills with 251 and an average of 2.5 kills per set.
- Mallory Lynch won the Defender of the Week award.
- Daniella Barile and senior Bronte Michura made the All-Academic Team.
- Sophomore MacKenzie Zook made the Champions of Character Team.